lunes, 30 de diciembre de 2019

Party Candy

There, at the bottom of a household platter
Topped off with a variety of brightly coloured candy
Lies the one that was just reserved for me;
Though it would take me a while to find it.

Is it green or is it blue?
Orange-scented, grapefruit flavoured?
Is it bright red, as to catch my eye
Right when I first glance at it?

“Tell me something! Give me a clue!”
But the rainbow candy don’t say as they do.
“One’s for you, and not but one,
If you find it, then it’s yours!”

Do I dare, then, take and try them all?
Knowing that whoever else comes after me
Might cry and scream and weep
At the last opportunity that I’ve just taken from them?

I reached for one, and as I ate it,
I changed my mind, and hear it screaming.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario