martes, 31 de julio de 2018

Leanan Sídhe

I’m Nobody! Who are you, fairy muse?
Are you – Nobody – too?
One look, and I was sold.
A Species stands beyond –
Invisible, as Music –
But positive, as Sound –
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
I do not think that they will sing to me,
For who would want a poet who cannot live?

Leanan sídhe, rwy' dy garu di.
Why should I blame her that she filled my days with
This violent inspiration and subduing misery?
Her home is empty and her heart is old,
I part thick curtains, and am startled by
The rapid clouds, the moon’s cleanliness
From my rented attic, with no earth to call my own
Except the air-motes,
I?
I make houses shrink
And trees diminish
By going far; let the gods speak softly of us
In days hereafter.

Our dried voices, when
We whisper together
Are quiet and meaningless.
Softly, in the dusk, this woman is singing to me;
How should we like it were stars to burn
With a passion for us we could not return?

Let us go, then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky
Till, losing memory,
Bird, fish, and sheep are ghostly,
And ghosts must do again
What gives them pain.

Oh, sir, she smiled, no doubt,
There she stands, as if alive.
Why, what could she have done, being what she is,
But to claim my life as hers?

She clung on to me, until I had nothing left to give.
The years to come seemed waste of breath,
A waste of breath the years behind
In balance with this life, this death.
Was there another Troy for her to burn?

Oh starry starry night! This is how
I want to die, and for short, I was afraid.
Earth, receive an honored guest:
Your dear artist is laid to rest.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario